FREE Upper Batley High School iPhone & Android App
Quick Links

Useful Links

UBHS chosen for national case study as a high achieving school
click to watch film

Upper Batley

Free Uniform Exchange
Believe.
Achieve.
Succeed.
Believe.
Achieve.
Succeed.

Creative Arts

Overview

The Creative Arts team at Upper Batley High School pride themselves on delivering an exciting Arts provision for our learners. The Arts have a language that all people speak and one that cuts across racial, cultural, social and economic barriers. We provide opportunities for self-expression and development of independent and collaborative learning. In today’s visual and fast moving world where creative thinking, social skills and positive attitudes are a must we help develop those skills on a daily basis through our curriculum.

Outline of Course Content

Although we do constantly work on developing prior knowledge we also look at individual needs on the learners chosen topics.

Key Stage 4 is very much project based, where each learner starts with the same brief but develops the work in an individual way. The course is predominantly based on independent learning with staff acting as facilitators to guide the learners in their own learning.

Currently we are studying AQA Fine Art at GCSE. The course is split into two parts with coursework and an externally set exam. The Coursework carries 60% of the marks with the exam making up the remaining 40%.

The exam paper consists of several questions of which the learners have to choose one and develop it in an independent and original way. Learners are free to make their own choices and may produce a final piece in either two or three dimensions.

The subject demands a self motivated learner that is independent and able to think outside the box in a creative way.

Extracurricular and Enrichment Opportunities

In both Key Stages there are opportunities for offsite education to experience art in the world around us. For example, our learners have visited Donna Nook Nature Reserve for life drawings of a seal colony, visited art galleries and museums as well as local attractions such as Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

There are opportunities for our learners at Key Stage 4 to develop their skills and build the coursework and portfolios twice a week after school.