In today’s technological society ICT and Computing skills are an essential part of everyday life at home or in the world of business. At Upper Batley High School we teach our learners to develop these skills and challenge them to become the ‘Bill Gates’ and ‘Steve Jobs’ of the future. Therefore our focus is to:
● equip young people with the knowledge, understanding and skills they need to design and make, effective digital products for others to use
● challenge young people to reflect on what they produce and strive for excellence
● equip young people with professional, real-world skills in planning, project management and communication
● give young people the knowledge, understanding and skills they need to support future learning and exploit the creative digital industries.
Outline of Course Content
Computing is a popular choice and all learners study the popular Level 2 Certificate in Digital Applications run by the Pearson Edexcel exam board. The coursehas been designed to engage and enthuse young people with an interest in creative computing, for example digital graphics and animations, interactive multimedia products and computer games.
Our aim is to encourage learners to consider pursuing education, training and career paths which will contribute to the nation’s economic wellbeing, while achieving job satisfaction and reward.
This is a two year course which learners start at the beginning of year 9 and complete at the end of year 11.
The course consists of 2 units.
- Unit 1 Developing Web Products
- Unit 2 Creative Multimedia
Extracurricular and Enrichment Opportunities
Learners are given the opportunity to further their learning through after school revision lessons and lunch time clubs.
Computer programming classes are also available for learners who wish to extend their interests in Computing. All learners are encouraged to attend at least one extra session per week.
The Computing department also boasts having touch screen computers which are at the cutting edge of communication technology.