Team Leader: Ayaz Patel
In today’s technological society ICT and Computing skills are an essential part of everyday life at home or in the world of business. At Upper Batley High School we teach our learners to develop these skills and challenge them to become the ‘Bill Gates’ and ‘Steve Jobs’ of the future.
Our focus is to
- teach learners a core set of skills, enabling them to be confident when using new systems and technologies;
- equip learners to develop skills which are transferable across the curriculum;
- develop independent learners who are able to solve problems with computerised solutions; and
- to enthuse learners about the future of technology and the careers of tomorrow
Learners receive one lesson of computing per week and cover a range of skills. Some of the topics that we cover are:
- Data handling
- App creation
- Games design
- Internet and email
- Website design
- Spreadsheet modeling
- Database development
- Basic programming
- Social media and e-safety
- Website development and HTML
- Spreadsheet solutions
- Hardware and software
- Computer programming
Computing is a popular choice and all learners study the popular BCS Level 2 ECDL Certificate in IT Application Skills run by the British Computer Society exam board. This is a two year course which learners start at the beginning of year 10 and complete at the end of year 11.
The course consists of 4 units. 100% of the course is online exam based.
The four units consists of:
- Word processing software
- Spreadsheet software
- Presentation software
- Improving productivity using IT
Why we are running the ECDL course
The computing curriculum requires that every child leaves school digitally literate. ECDL has become an important building block, equipping learners with the IT skills they need to thrive in the digital world, whether they’re pursuing further education.